VSS-211 Authorized Non-Climber Safety and Rescue – $725
Available as an open enrollment class in LeRoy, MI.
This two-day course coincides and interacts with students taking VSS212. The course is designed for non-climbers such as ground workers, managers, supervisors, customer representatives, engineers, safety inspectors and other site personal that do not climb, but do need to know what safe climbing practice and suitable rescue options are.
Day 1: Non-climber Students will be taught the correct procedures for selection, use, and operation of the equipment and tools used on the job. This course also covers employee roles and responsibilities, OSHA law, company policy, site hazards, tower hazards, rope, knots, equipment inspection, care, maintenance, rigging, safety plan, co-worker rescue, self-rescue, and controlled descent. This is the same instruction, received by students taking VSS212, Authorized Climber Safety and Rescue.
Day 2: starts with written exam and concludes at the tower site overseeing students taking the tower exam for VSS212. The non-climber tower exam will consist of supervising safety meeting/hazard assessment and ensuring VSS212 students select proper equipment and practice proper safety procedures while acting as crew supervisor.
This course is taught by lecture, power point presentation, and hands on interaction with harnesses, lanyards, connectors, tools, rope and rigging apparatus. Students will receive over 300 pages of educational information and resources contained within the student manual to be used during class and for future reference. Certification of training and photo ID card will be awarded at the end of class for successful completion of written exam and supervision of tower maneuver test. Class size is limited to 12 participants.
See our Training Calendar for dates, locations and class availability.
- Course overview/objectives
- Gravity does not take a break
- Speeding up technology
- Organized Confusion (Policy, Standards, Rules, Regulations)
- Gauge the Hazards
- Fall Protection Systems (PFAS)
- Lifelines – Vertical/Horizontal
- PFAS – Inspection, Use, Care, Storage
- Ropes and Knots
- Man Riding, Nets, Rails
- Personal Safety/First Aid
- Hazards – Site/Environmental/Structure
- Safety, what’s The Plan?
- Rescue and Response
- Review, Questions, Discussion
VSS211 students will supervise and oversee students taking VSS212
- Safety Meeting/Hazard Assessment
- Select/Inspect PPE
- Select/Inspect PFAS
- Assist with rigging tower
- Use safe climb cable/Lad safe
- Use lifeline with fall arrest
- Practice rescue procedure with controlled decent device
- Maintain three points of contact
- Face climb using fall arrest Y lanyard
- Use ladder climb system
- Demonstrate appropriate knot and identify
- Climb under control and maintain 100% tie off